Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell Review // Book Review

Hi! I finally managed to do something I really love; read a novel. A fiction novel. In my previous posts, I talked about nonfiction which is good actually, but I can not lie to my self that I love fiction book more than others :). It's been a while since I last read a novel. Now, I'm going to tell my current reading. 

Eleanor & Park, a novel that tells first love might be working. It took me 4 years to finally read this book. I bought it on 2015, when I was in junior high school. I didn't understand a thing. First, because it is an English novel. Second, I wasn't into novel, especially love novel. So lame, I thought. Then a week ago I found it in my book shelf, sat, read, fell in love with Park this book.






Smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try


I know I said that I would not talk about the cover, but I really do want to talk about it now :). Honestly, the cover is not worth it. One thing that I think should be gone is the "novel" thing underneath Eleanor & Park. Just personal opinion wkwkwk.

About the perspective of how the story is told is genius. It's told from both Elanor and Park's perspectives, but using the third person to tell it. I love reading a novel with more than one perspective, it surely tells how genius the writer is. And it makes the story real, I feel like someone was literally telling about Eleanor and Park from their perspectives to me. 

About the flow, it's flowing like water from a calm river, then ended in a waterfall; fast and shocking. At first, the book was full of a package of high schooler romance which made me giggling, laughing, screaming (it's not a little bit too much, really), amused, and made me feeling young. There was also some awful things on the first part of the book, it was some crying, trembling, shouting part. But, all of it flowing so slow and calm. What I mean with that is those parts were soooo long and somehow I like it and the flowing of those part made me flowing, too. I almost did nothing for about 2 hours just to read them; I couldn't stop; flowing like water. Especially when it got to the high-schooler-romance -part, I felt like I could read those lines forever. This one for example

(Park) Eleanor was right: She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something. 


But, when it got the most-ending part which I believe as the conflict, it became so fast and shocking. I read it as I was in rush. Honestly, I didn't really enjoy that last part, simply because it was too short for me XD. 

About the story, it is pure and natural, at first. Basically about two kids finally felt their first love, understood nothing but the urge to be with each other all the time, and not cliche for me. Interesting how both Elanor and Park had different family back ground and also different personality, but some were kind of same. The story reminded me how hard it was and is to be a teenager; had no idea what to do, confused, and madly in love. But, when I was almost at the end of the story, I felt it was not that interesting. I felt it was blank (or it really was?). I only read empty lines, for me. Again, it was too fast. 

Despite the ending part, I still recommend this novel because Park was cute  it's worth to read when you (finally) feel you're already old. And I love how Rainbow Rowell put some old songs in the story, thank you Rainbow Rowell for the song list. 

That's all about my opinion about this novel. The movie is coming soon and I can't wait to enjoy the story.

Thank you for reading, bhy hlavya. 


Comments